' ' ' 'Crafty Endeavours: Inspired By Darcy Wilkinson (2)

Saturday 27 July 2013

Inspired By Darcy Wilkinson (2)

This week, the incredible Darcy has created for us a full assortment of decorations for a garden party, with cake stand decoration, cup cakes sleeves, banner, centerpiece, invitations, gift paper and tag and much more... She STILL found the time to bake for her party (I asked ).

And then she revealed her new baby, made out of mesh, clay, and paper. Dont miss her post, the project is amazing, the photos amusing and there are 2 videos so we can see how she did it.

I chose to make something altogether less challenging and created a storage piece for my craft stash. Not as good as Darcy's made-from-scratch bag, but more adapted to my skills!

After numerous layers of gesso, I sprayed my box with a shimmering spray in brown, and 2 colours of Fresco. Sprayed water where needed to guide the flow of paint around the box.

I then stencilled the hearts (part of last Valentine's chocolates box) and the dress form (negative die-cut), using the bump technique. I overstamped , with the mask still in place with a freebie flourish.
I also stencilled a border, using my home made (from a punch) stencil.

There is no ryhme or reason for the stamps I chose or coherent theme for the decoration. I used the girls from Hot Pick 1207 and the butterfly and "Best homes" from Hot Pick 1203.
For the butterfly I used ink on the edges and Fresco paint on the inside.
I repeated the stamps on the box base.

A better view of the lid:


Stamping with paint update!
Following your responses to my problem, I have found the main cause for my smudged stamping and how to remedy.
Last time, I was using a make up sponge to apply the paint, never imagining it would make a difference, but it does. Not because it's Cut & dry but Cut & dry is firmer so the paint is more controlled and doesn't squish between the lines of the stamp so much. So thank you all for sharing your tips and advice.

You can enter the challenge here.

Thanks for coming by,

8 comments:

  1. This is so pretty! I love the colours, the butterfly and the dress-form - fabulous stamping. I wondered if Darcy had baked too - now I know; Superwoman or what? So glad you solved the stamping with paint problem and then shared. This is so helpful; I will invest in some 'cut and dry'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely, what are you going to keep in it? makes me happy to see pretty storage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is for my sprays and mica powders, with lots of room for expansion! I am planning a few more all for crafty stash, of course...

      Delete
  3. What a pretty storage box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful box, and practical too! Love it.

    Sylv xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo pour cette belle réa, qui te sera surement bien utile en plus !... Et oui, je n'ai pas essayé mais je te fais confiance, entre du cut'n dry et une éponde de maquillage il y a bien des différences... qui doivent s'en ressentir sur le résultat peint ! Bises

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous box! Love the background you created and your images! Beautifully designed! Thanks for all the lovely comments on my blog while I was away!
    Ellen
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooo this is gorgeous, I love how you spritzed with water, it makes all those lovely natural swirls of blending. It's great to learn about the cut and dry while stamping with paint. I use sponge but I must try cut and dry now :-). Thank you for your comment on my Blog. I didn't even know what the Turner prize was lol, very honoured that you like my paint scraps lol, but yes the bed was errr interesting. I look at that type of bed every day, it's called teenagers x2!!! Would hate for them to find out that a messy bed/room would be called art, I would never get them to clean it lol. Kezzy xxxx

    ReplyDelete