' ' ' 'Crafty Endeavours: Shiny Things Inspired by Pam Thorburn

Sunday 1 February 2015

Shiny Things Inspired by Pam Thorburn


You may recall this book cover (image right) which  I decided to complete using the same colour scheme but with shine!
I took inspiration from Pam Thorburn's project that you can see here with her step by step and Finnabair Sparkle and Shine blog hop.

My base textures were sequin waste, drywall tape (joint tape/scrim), Memory box Tessatina die-cuts, X-Cut Corner die-cut (from the Trim Borders set) and a piece of lace. Sadly this last piece doesn't work particularly well.
I also used the letters to form the word "Dies" since this is what my book will contains. Sounds ominous, but I couldn't think of another relevant word under 5 letters!

I applied my metallic tape with pieces roughly cut to the sizes of the different textured areas in a bid to make the joints look as natural as possible. A slow progress and delicate touch is required at this stage, the tape is thin and can tear (translation: it did tear!)

After painting with Frescos and removing the colour from the highpoints I added Gloss medium in the recesses, here and there, to adhere fine glitter for more shine...





To finish I used a stamp from Paper Artsy Hot Pick 1204 and made embellishments with Tim Holtz Hardware Findings die, painted, crackled and silver foiled in places.

And if you wondered... yes I haven't finished the spine! I plan to use fabric for that so I don't have to deal with any cracking.

Thanks for coming by,

10 comments:

  1. I can imagine just how beautifully tactile this feels in the flesh Christine and the shine as well, lovely inky indulgence.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is stunning and has certainly got sparkle and shine. I love the colours as well

    Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quel dommage qu'on soit si loin... J'aurais volontiers testé ces techniques en ta compagnie!! Ta couverture est sublime au niveau des couleurs et des textures, et tes embellissements clé et serrrure paraissent magnifiques!! Bises Coco

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your book cover is really lovely...what a fine book it will make!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a brilliant shimmer - really pretty xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all your shimmering patterns and textures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. VERY VERY pretty Christine, so many lovely colours and textures, a fantastic cover and i like the fabric spine idea, hope to see when you have added that element :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow ! This is so awesome. I adore mixed media background like this. Fantastic work my friend, the colours, the embelishments. Wow ! Thank you so much for sharing your art work with us. Thank you for taking part in Finnabair 'Sparkle & Shine' challenge. Best of luck. Hugs, Marta xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning shiny project! Texture and colours are very beautiful. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great shiny project! Awesome textures! Thank you for joining the Finnabair "Sparkle and Shine" challenge!

    ReplyDelete