' ' ' 'Crafty Endeavours: Out of my comfort zone

Sunday 14 January 2018

Out of my comfort zone

I had to try my hand at ATCs again for the Paper Artsy challenge and today I'm following Claire's colour scheme to challenge myself out of my usual colours.


I started with a background made with Infusions and Fresco paints (something for another set of ATCs, coming soon...) and for an unfathomable reason, decided to play with Distress Oxides. Yes, I kid you not, on top of acrylic...

Needless to say, spraying water on top creates a magnificent polished stone effect but oh... the ink doesn't dry and has a tendency to come off on everything it touches.

I persevered nonetheless and used hairspray to create a protective barrier. It did the trick, however the spray did soften all the previous textures I had achieved with the water... Never mind.

In the corners I used a doodle stamp (freebie from a magazine) in black Archival ink and added a white highlight with an acrylic pen (Graphmaster) in honour of the Lost Coast Design challenge.

For the focal image, I stamped, fussy cut and mounted on dimensionals, 2 images from the Big Anthropormorph Birds set by  Lost Coast Designs. After that I couldn't fit anything additional. I must say, not being used to that size of canvas, I found it a struggle to create on such a small space!

When I finished the project, the colours were much, much brighter and darker than when I took the photo, which I conclude means the D.O "oxidised" over time. I'm aware that it's something that happens, I just don't know what did it in this case. Humidity? the acrylic base? Any clues, let me know in the comments.

Thanks for coming by,
Also entering the SanDee & amelie's Steampunk, Paperbabe and Fashionable Stamping challenges.

15 comments:

  1. I don't know. I have yet to get some oxides, but the texture of your background is great! And your ATC's turned out awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lush backgrounds Christine and every now and then it's good to step outside our comfort zone.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful card with a wonderful background. Thank you for sharing with us at Fashionable Stamping Challenges.
    Greetings Carola

    ReplyDelete
  4. Handy tip about the oxides upon acrylic, good job they are only ATC size but they have both turned out delightful. Super colour choice.
    Thank you for sharing with us over at Paperbabe and best wishes in the anything goes blog challenge.
    Tracey DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love those stamps Christine they are awesome the heads look amazing atop the bodies. Such patience you have with the background I would have given up after the oxides but glad you didn't because the end make is gorgeous.

    Thank you for sharing with us at Fashionable Stamping Challenges.

    Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
    ShirlsCards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous and more Christine.

    Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
    ShirlsCards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are brilliant Christine, thanks for the tip about the hairspray, mine came out of the box yesterday and I used some over acrylic paint. It started out as really bright but then seemed to fade into the background which I was surprised about, but maybe it had just rubbed off (it was a busy page and I wouldn't have noticed lol) Thanks so much for joining in with us at Lost Coast Designs again, and have a great week. Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous background and those anthropomorphs look very majestic. Thanks for joining the Lost Coast Portal to Creativity challenge. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great ATCs with good backgrounds, Infusions, Fresco paint and Oxide seem to be a good combination, I have to try it once. Thank you for showing it to us on SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges. Hugs, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are both so great! Such a good use for the Anthromorph stamps! Thanks for joining the LCD monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the colours and designs of your ATC's. I also have had trouble with the oxides over acrylics, I think it maybe the plastic-ness of the acrylic so it does'nt dry. I want to try some of the Oxide reinkers and mix with some matt medium to see if the works!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, they are lovely. Those focal images are really different and they are showcased so well on that delicious background.

    ReplyDelete
  13. J'aime beaucoup. tu as su utiliser de bons ingrédients pour les réaliser. bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous ATCs, Christine!!! I love your background and your focal images are awesome!!! xx

    ReplyDelete