' ' ' 'Crafty Endeavours: Framework

Monday 15 July 2019

Framework


Today is my turn to show you what I made with some of the new products arriving at Crafts U Love. One of them keeps going out of stock so I was excited to finally lay my hands on it... the Julie Hickey Designs Layers, Frames & Banners Die Set!

Why so excited you ask?
  1. The mix of rectangular dies allow for 4 different sizes mats and 2 thin frames. By mixing those together on different colours of cardstock the possibilities are endless  (well not in a mathematical sense but...)
  2. The smaller dies can be used for sentiments and 3 of them are perfect for thin sentiments which is something that was missing from my arsenal. Of course, they also match well with Julie Hickey Designs Everyday Sentiments
  3. And finally, above all, the one feature that I have been waiting for since I started die-cutting... the dies sizes are proportional to our A6 cards (14.8 by 10.5cms) rather than the US standard card size (5"1/2 by 4"1/4 ). So now I can matt and layer using any standard paper and card...
Nuff said let's get on with the today's tutorial:


1. Using the largest (scalloped) die I first die-cut a panel and using the 3rd die down in size cut the middle out, creating a frame.
2. To make it easy for myself I then embossed it from the back with the second size down die (the largest of the thin frames).
3. I used the same die to cut out a frame with another colour of cardstock.

4. I finished my frame by sticking the thin frame in the channel I created in step 2.
With the left overs I also got a second frame thrown in!


For the background behind the frame, I made my own patterned paper using stamps and 2 colours of Nuvo Drops as paint.
Slightly unorthodox I know,  but I wanted to see if it worked and also making sure that colours matched...
To do this I spread a bit of product in a thin layer on my craft mat with a silicone tool then tapped the stamp lightly on the paint.

The Nuvo Drops I used are from the Vintage range and have a matt finish to them after drying. The stamp set is one of the many Vintage motifs sets released th year by Woodware and you know I like my Vintage...

Using the same stamp set I stamped the postcard and butterfly several times (I only needed one of each for this project but this will save me time in the long run)

I chose vellum for the butterfly which can be coloured both from the front and the back for a deeper colour.

Putting it all together on a blue card base with a banner die-cut, stamped and embossed with a sentiment and finished with Bonnie Blue Nuvo Drops at the corners of the frame and on the small heart of the banner. I did consider adding a dot to each pierced hole of the scalloped frame but I didn't fancy my chances of getting them all the same size and in the right place too!


Supplies:

Julie Hickey Designs Layers, Frames & Banners Die Set - Rectangle
Julie Hickey Designs I Need It Stamp Set - Everyday Sentiments
Tonic Studios Nuvo Vintage Drops - Bonnie Blue and Chocolate Chip
Woodware Clear Stamp Set - Old Postcard
Vicki Boutin Kaleidoscope Silicon Art Wedge
Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pad – Antique Linen
Brilliance inkpad
Creative Expressions White A4 Vellum
WOW! Embossing Powder - Seafoam White

Should you purchase any of the products I have used on this card, select  'Design Team'  in the 'where have you seen us' drop down so we know we have inspired you!


Come by at the end of the month for another inspiration post for Crafts U Love.
In the meantime... keep cool and carry on crafting!

6 comments:

  1. Another gorgeous creation Christine.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Christine, I am so sorry that I've missed so many of your gorgeous projects just guess life stuff has got in the way a bit. Great card and loved your project in the July Craft Stamper too. Happy creative week, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful project Christine, I love it.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elle est tout simplement superbe cette carte aussi... !!
    Et j'aime bien ton idée de jouer de toutes les manières possibles avec les drops Nuvo! Belle tentative, ça semble marcher pour tamponner aussi :)
    Un joli jeu de matières, dies (très sympas!) et tampons bravo.
    Bises

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely card and I agree great to have it all in proportion xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Très élégante cette carte, j'aime!

    ReplyDelete