' ' ' 'Crafty Endeavours: Experimental paste

Sunday 12 October 2014

Experimental paste

Over at the Craft Barn the words for the quote challenge are Destiny & Gift and I have chosen my quote first, "Control your own destiny or someone else will", with no consideration to what I could or couldn't represent...
Well, after long searches in my stash and many brain storming sessions, nothing came up... Serendipitously though, the end result shows how little control I had over the design!

I turned to the Paper Artsy blog for inspiration and combined ideas from 2 Paper Artsy creations, a canvas by Gillian and a folder by Julie Ann, both using Sara Naumann stamps which I am a bit (OK a lot) partial to.

I used cardboard as it featured in both makes, and initially, followed Gillian's first layers. I didn't like the result so I tried to emulate Julie Ann's background adding the Quatrefoil motif die-cut and some stencilled areas as per Gillian's make. For stencilling paste I made a mix from sand texture, yellow micro beads and pink glitter (you've got Prima to thank for that idea). To that, I added texture paste to give it some opacity against my dark background. With hindsight blue or pink micro beads would have been better!

All stamps used are from ESN10 and I used paints with them. Quite impressed on how the script, which is very delicate, came out. I have delegated the elegant script to my printer as I wanted it smaller than usual.

I felt it was missing something and I considered melted gold wax drippings but chickened out, opting for white paint splatters instead. Treasure gold would look lovely too especially on the textured dots.

Thanks for coming by,

26 comments:

  1. This looks really lovely - great textures and those circles are fabulous! I love the exciting abstract quality of it. Julie Ann xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous end result! The quote is just perfect.. I always choose my quote first too, and then have to find a way to interpret (or more honestly, display) it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks wonderful with a great mix of colours and stripes and circles

    Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant background - loving all that texture and colour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely gorgeous!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful colours and textures, great quote.

    Sylv xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great quote and I love your page - full of texture and interest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all about this page, background, colours, texture .... Gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This truly is a beautiful background! Great texture!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks absolutely wonderful!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the layers looks like you had great fun!! Great quote too

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the layers and texture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Went to check your page, lovely background and stamping to illustrate the quote perfectly. Must be a shock coming back to the UK after your hols! Well done for checking up on us from Nepal, not sad, loyal!

      Delete
  13. This is gorgeous. I love how you managed to come up with a clever way to interpret the quote. I always choose my quote based on what products or tools I have, so your choosing your quote first, was serendipitous. As a result, it worked out SO well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love that. the colours are amazing and there is so much to look at. its a perfect, beautiful work of art! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is really stunning. Love the texture and colours.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow what a great background, I love all the textures!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A fabulous background with so much texture. I do love a bit of serendipity!

    ReplyDelete
  18. love your page, beautiful colours & textures

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gosh, it's stunning! The layers and textures are just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's not always a bad thing if the project dictates you what to do, look at this, this turned out beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. love the textures and details - fab piece x

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is very gorgeous! I love the colours and the great textures xx

    ReplyDelete