' ' ' 'Crafty Endeavours: Vintage tones

Friday 17 October 2014

Vintage tones

When the Craft Stamper magazine started a series of articles about Scene stamping, I was hooked. The reason I got into stamping in the first place, is that no drawing skills are required to get a perfect result every time. So, I take great pleasure in combining my stamps to create something unique and my latest purchase of "dedicated" scenic stamps provides me with new possibilities. This is the inspiration for this card, along with the colour scheme provided by the Rubber Dance challenge.


I created the vintage look by inking a panel of white card with Distress inks before stamping my scene..
The lighthouse image is by Impression Obsession, the clouds Stampscapes. Finally the splodges (no, not coffee stains) are from a set called Messy Art (Artistic Stamper). I had this set on the table because initially I was going to use the big splat behind the lighthouse before I realised that to read as the light shining outwards from the lighthouse I needed a dark background and light ink. Still, there is next time...
I kept the rest simple and added what I hope are nautical knots, before matting on a crackled background.
Since my crackle disaster a few weeks ago, I am glad to report my new crackle medium (Imagination Crafts) works perfectly. Thin layers give fine crackle, thicker layers bigger crackle. The only thing to keep in mind is to apply the topcoat quickly in one pass of a brush- it helps if the paint is fluid (if not water it down first).

I am also entering the Imaginations Crafts challenge.

Hope you like my scene,

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful scene! The knots, which indeed look very nautical to me, are such a nice touch - icing on the cake! Thank you so much for joining our colour challenge - nice to see you there again! :-)
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful! It looks so real! Thanks so much for joining us at Rubber Dance Stamps Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful scene and it all looks so good in just the shades of brown

    Love Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the sepia colour and crackle effect framing the fabulous scene created.

    Sylv xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous card! Such a clever composition you really have created a lovely scene. Have you tired using PVA glue as a crackle layer? Base coat in one colour acrylic then a coat of glue then a top coat of acrylic. I have even used it on my craft room walls! Thanks for playing along with the Rubber Dance October Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG!!! It's so beautiful!!! I love this card very much!!! Thank you very much for playing along with us at Rubber Dance! :)
    ~Olga Kovalchuk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh bravo, je suis super contente de voir cette carte sur ton blog!!! D'abord parce qu'elle est très belle... (et bravo aussi pour le cadre craquelé super joli), et ensuite parce que comme toi, j'ai été scotchée et très intéressée par cette série d'articles avec des réas magnifiques à la clé... Mais comtrairement à toi, je n'ai pas encore réussi à trouver le temps d'en faire! Mais j'aimerais vraiment moi aussi!!! Bises Christine, bon dimanche

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fantastic piece thank you for joining us at Imagination crafts xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very beautiful card! The knots give it a nautical touch! Thank you for joining the Rubber Dance challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful card! You make me want to go explore stamp-scaping! TFS

    ReplyDelete