' ' ' 'Crafty Endeavours: S is for. . . .

Wednesday 4 December 2013

S is for. . . .

The latest Dictionary challenge at the Craft Barn is for the letter S. I had a look through my small dictionary and happened on Sparkle, Shine, Scintillate as well as Stencil and Stamp. Perfect for a crafter wouldn't you say ?
However, as a word, I fancied Serendipity, much more interesting than the above... still I wouldn't let them go, so I included a lot of shine, stencils and stamps on my page. In fact I turned this project in an exercise to include a maximum of shiny mediums.



How do you illustrate Serendipity ? I started by selecting  remnants of previous projects: the Swirl corner, cut up from punched card (EK Success), the dotted border (Nellie Snellen border die) and the Christmas tree (freebie die + gold foil). I applied metallic wax on the Swirl corner and dotted border, for the shine.

The Christmas tree told me to use a Snowflake stamp, the Swirl background stamp (Hero Arts) was serendipitously chosen by the SSS Monday challenge theme (With a Flourish). I inked it with embossing ink and several pigment inks, embossing with WOW blue Pearl powder. Love the lost and found look!

I also stamped portions of a Crafty Individual stamp (CI-001) in blue ink.

I added texture paste with a Prima stencil and coloured it using water soluble metallic pencils and with a DIY stencil coating it with iridescent medium (this is a watercolour medium).

Finally, I added loose glitter to a scrap piece of zig-zag die cut (pale blue) and its negative (purple), enough, I think, to add sparkle but not so much that it overwhelms the page. Added bonus I can enter the Lisa.B.Designs challenge (All that glitters).

Since I was letting myself guided by Serendipity there was no definite plan, but I had envisioned great bursts of colours, maybe with sprays. Having reached that point with no disasters, the courage failed me and I used light colours of Distress inks  instead.
I was going to add some Sequins but I have just realised I just plain forgot... anyway it might have been the Straw that broke the camel's back anyway!

Close-ups of all that shine
 
 
What do you think... happy accident (serendipity) or car crash ?

Thanks for coming by,

5 comments:

  1. I love that! The background looks amazing & the Christmas tree is gorgeous. Thanks for joining the Lisa B Designs challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo pour tous ces essais, c'est brillant et très intéressant, et tu t'es bien amusée ça se voit !! Bravo Christine, tu finis en beauté si c'est la dernière page...? Moi il y a longtemps que j'ai arrêté ce challegne hélas, mais je le regrrette un peu ! Bonne soirée, bises

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous selection of S words I love it

    MaggieH

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous word and great page, love the background.

    Sylv xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful creation! I love the all the patterns and colors you created on the background. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete