' ' ' 'Crafty Endeavours: Faux Finishes Challenge

Thursday 31 May 2012

Faux Finishes Challenge

Yeah!!! The Craft Barn challenges are back, starting with Faux Finishes. I chose Faux Metal, and set out to obtain a rusty copper look on my project.



I embossed my metal with a Crafter's Workshop template, then applied embossing ink and black embossing powder to give an all over black colour. Next I applied embossing ink only on the raised surface and pounced mica powders on top. To fix, I just used the heat gun to re-melt the embossing. I love the finish so much I couldn't bring myself to cover it up with a biggish stamped image, which was the original plan,  so I just added a sentiment, some thin copper wire and a button.

Below another photo, this time photographed in the sunlight, so you get the idea of how much the mica shines.


I like the way the background to the sentiment looks like wood - a complete accident ! I picked up a small offcut of glossy card which turned out to be photo paper, and tried a water-based marker on it. The photo paper sucks the ink so quickly a smooth result is out of the question... so I have just come up with a Faux Finish of my own!!!


Thanks for coming by,

6 comments:

  1. Very beautiful card, I love it !! Bravo !

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got a stunning effect on thi scard, and also teh sentiment!

    Thanks for joining us at CraftBarn :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done it looks brilliant ! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning!!!
    Love the wood effect too! Isn't it even better when it's not intentional?
    Thanks for entering our challenge.
    Izzy

    ReplyDelete