' ' ' 'Crafty Endeavours: Journal cover

Saturday 20 May 2017

Journal cover

So I finally did it... I am getting a proper Journal.

When I say "get" I mean convert something into one, you know I can't resist a bit of recycling... I got this diary recently and, since half the year is already gone, it seemed pointless to use it as a diary. Plus with the calendar thingie on the phone...
I am not great with dimensional or 3D makes but Paper Artsy is investigating Assemblages this week and I was inspired by Alison's background here.

I started by selecting the shapes to add to my background, although later I changed my mind about the bottom label (which is hiding a logo).

Then I used gel medium to stick all the shapes and added a bit of crackle paste around them. This turned out to give subtle crackles but they are all lost in the final piece.

For colour I went back in time and used Inktense sticks, mainly because I couldn't find my Tim Holtz Distress crayons... I used a mix of mica sprays and water to spread the colours.

To add interest to the background I stamped (all from Paper Artsy) the scripts stamp from ESN10, the bell from ID02 and the leaf and circle trios from ELB33. The quote is from Hot Picks 1204, stamped on tissue paper. 
Finally, I used a small tag I had already stamped (Crafty Individuals CI-428) and embossed with clear EP to fit the Dovecraft frame I had selected for the bottom. I did several layers of green embossing on the frame, adding a sprinkle of Aged Aqua (Stampendous) on the last layer.

Having found my Distress crayon I used the Vintage to add shading to the tags and hearts.

I tipped the book to catch the sunrays in this photo so you can see the beautiful mica shine!

It had been such a long time since I did a bit of Mixed Media that I really enjoyed it so I must thank Paper Artsy and Alison who gave me the required push!

Thanks for coming by,


Also entering the Creative Mixed Media, WOW Embossing powders, Vintage Journey and SSS Wednesday Challenge challenges.

15 comments:

  1. yay anther journal convert.... love your cover - look forward to seeing some inside work soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas on this cover. I love how you used Alison's inspiring tag idea. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. fun design and colors...great job! I am so glad you played along with us at simon says stamp wednesday challenge!

    blog-paperie blooms
    ig-2klines

    sparkle & shine, kindness *~*

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fabulous journal cover. Great colours and collage effect.

    Thank you for joining in with our May challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media and good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all of the texture and dimention on your journal cover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these rounded tags and how you built your composition around them - amazing! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS. Thanks ever so much for playing along at A Vintage Journey. Big hugs, Autumn

      Delete
  7. Oh, c'est super beau !!!
    Bravo Christine... J'avais bien admiré moi aussi la réa d'Alison, c'est vrai que son assemblage de tags sur le fond est une super idée. Tu te l'es bien appropriée !
    Je vais tacher de ne pas l'oublier, et tenter l'expérience moi aussi un de ces 4... Cela pourra devenir aussi un futur projet d'atelier si je réussis l'expérience moi aussi, lol. On verra bien ! :)
    Bises

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful cover Christine. Fabulous dimension and great composition.
    Flo xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing assemblage and upcycling, simply gorgeous. Well done!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome mixed media project! I could never do that. But I like to admire those!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Très bonne idée ces tags pour réaliser le fond, une tres belle couverture.je suis en panne sèche d'inspiration en ce moment, Ça pourrait me donner des idées. Bizzz

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous journal cover! I love how you've given new life to an otherwise useless item. And your quote is wonderful! Thank you for joining us at A Vintage Journey for our Use a Quote challenge! Hugs! Sara Emily

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely layered tags - Amanda inspired me, I inspired you... I love this crafty game! Great makeover for the notebook, and a quote I fully endorse! Thanks so much for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete