' ' ' 'Crafty Endeavours: New favourites

Sunday 12 January 2020

New favourites

There's  nothing like new crafting supplies to spur you on....

I got myself some stamps from Lavinia's latest release, obviously my new favourites, and admired their new papers too (Scene-Scapes) which led me to try getting a similar result with alcohol inks (you can see the particular Scene-Scape here) .


I have no in progress photos as I had 2 false starts and had to scrap my first backgrounds. When working with alcohol inks the choice of card is paramount, but I seem to have forgotten this! Just shows how rarely I use the inks...

To get the effect I was after I needed a non porous substrate and Yupo was the answer. It is very forgiving as you can carry on adding alcohol inks or taking them off with Alcohol blending solution until you are happy. This is how I built the top of  the background, establishing a "sky" and "landscape".  I cut a circle to mask the moon.

The foreground was created with shades of grey alcohol pens and masks I hand cut from washi tape. I  sacrificed some of my lovely Prima tape for this, because of its large width, and I cut it in 3 different hill shapes.

With the background in place, the next step was the stamping. Given this is Yupo paper regular dye or pigment inks wouldn't dry so I used Archival, although I hate doing that, first because the stamp is permanently stained and second because solvent inks and cleaners aren't recommended for polymer stamps.
But I had a vision.... so I HAD to do it!

The stamps I used (all Lavinia) are:
Berry Leaves both sizes at the top
Badger
Winter Berry Mini next to the badger, stamped over the mask and mostly upside down.

I am happy with the result although the background isn't as beautiful as Lavinia's Scene-Scape. I do think I might pick them up next time and concentrate on the stamping!

Do let me know what you think!

Thanks for coming by,
I am entering the Lavinia,  Stamping Sensations, SSS Monday and Craft Stamper TIMI challenges.

9 comments:

  1. Loving this design. Great new stamp too. I must get out my alcohol inks again and have a play, not used them for ages. Happy creative week, Angela xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elle est tout simplement magnifique !!!!!! j'adore, ça m'inspire moi aussi. J'ai malheureusement le bras cassé, sinon je m'y mettrai tout de suite !!
    Bonne chance pour ces challenges, tu as toutes tes chances dans les deux cas je pense :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving that inky background graduating down to the snow and Mr Badger Christine, thanks for joining in with our 'Favourite Stamps' theme at Stamping Sensations challenge.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what an amazing project! It's such a stunning scene, I love the texture that you created in the background with the alcohol inks and your new stamps - perfection 😁. Wishing you a happy and creative week! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elle est magnifique cette carte, j'adore les couleurs de fonds que tu as choisies. et moi aussi je suis fan des Lavinia, j'en ai toute une collection, mais faute de temps ils dorment souvent dans leur boite.
    Tu as toutes tes chances! bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a glorious alcohol inky background (so glad you linked us to the paper which inspired you too) - and the subtle gray shading in the foreground makes perfect snowy hillocks. The delicate Lavinia stamps work beautifully over the top of it all.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing ..... love the inky background. Thank you for playing along with the Craft Stamper challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. A gorgeous card. I love the contrast of the colours with the black and white. I've also been playing with alcohol ink but not brave enough to share my messes just yet! It's very difficult to control and I struggle to embrace the random elements!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Trop trop belle. les encres à alcool rendent super bien et J'aime ce contraste de couleurs et de blanc. bravo

    ReplyDelete