' ' ' 'Crafty Endeavours: Her gaze

Wednesday 11 March 2020

Her gaze

Today I'm showing my second inspiration make for the Country View Challenge on the theme "The eyes have it", chosen by my teammate Jane.



This is a project that took months to conceive but eventually came to fruition in a weekend... I had bought this Stamperia rice paper, not for a specific project, but because I fell in love with it and had to have it.  Of course the problem was, I didn't want to lose a single piece of it or obscure it in anyway, which  made it difficult to use it in a creative way.

So I went big... 12"x12" to be exact and the paper being A4 (21x29.7cms- approximately 8"1/4x11"1/5) I had some white space to add my own marks...
After months of creative drought I suddenly got excited to play with stamps, inks etc.. to create a a layout in the Vintage style that I favour.

 First, I divided the rice paper in 3 pieces, keeping the bottom left corner for another project and glued it in place with Mod podge. This paper is more sturdy than classic tissue paper and I was able to adhere the paper without wrinkles, although you may want to in order to have a more grungy look!

I gave a top coat of matt glaze to be sure the paper would be protected from any wet medium I might decide to add later...

I applied colour to the rest of the cardstock to blend it with the rice paper. No particular reason for my choice of medium apart from the fact that I wanted to avoid acrylic paints (it limits the choice of inks when stamping) and overly wet mediums.

Next I wanted to use my new Stamperia stencil, Wallpaper Fantasy and new stamp set - Enjoy to add interest to that (almost) virgin space.
I also used a texture stamp from Prima/Finnabair and although mine is from an older collection, you will find 15 different textures stamps from the Prima/Finnabair collection on the Country View Craft site, here.

With the stencil I used inks bottom left and gloss medium at the top of my layout, which I later foiled.

Next, with all the "messy" stuff finished I pulled out my Martha Stewart punches. They are probably seen as old school but unless you're the lucky owner of a Big Shot Pro, you cannot die-cut a 12"x12" page and punches are still the only way... Plus, I haven't used them very much, and they should earn their rather expensive real estate in my craft "room".

Once I had punched my corners and borders, I added more inks to blend the margins and distressed them too.
This particular corner isn't a PATP but a corner + unrelated border, which I have found a way to use together satisfactorily.

I then put together my focal point with a photo from an ephemera pack by Prima. The young girl and the woman had the same unyielding look in their eyes, which I thought perfect for our theme!

And now for the reveal....


I do hope you will like my page and join us in the Country View Challenge this month. As usual there is a £20 voucher to be won...

Do let me know in your comments if you have a lot of MS punches and how often you use them these days.
Thanks for coming by,
I am entering the SSS Monday (not a lot of green but a bit…), Vintage Journey and SSS Wednesday challenges.

14 comments:

  1. I am much the same if I see a product that I love, yet it takes time to evolve into a piece of finished artwork and this one certainly was worth the wait Christine.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear - I'm the same with my rice paper - it's too lovely to risk! But seeing this makes me realise it could end up looking even better. I completely agree about the similarity between the girl and the woman - either relatives or a younger/older version of the same person. The gold embossed script is gorgeous and I love the punched edging - a really fabulous detail. A lovely page. Thanks so much for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever solution to preserve that incredible paper!! It is so lovely, as are virtually all things Stamperia :-). You've done a marvelous job, and I love your gilded script! xx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely stunning Christine, I think we're all guilty of 'Love it, want it, have to have it - not going to use it' but you've created something even better than the original. Have a very happy week, Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful papers you used on this lovely page - wonderful images and colors and I love the lacy corners - thank you for sharing with us at A Vintage Journey Challenge this month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful page! I would Youhave fallen in love with this rice paper too, she is such a beauty and I can see why you would use her for this challenge, her eyes are mesmerising. You have created so much beauty, I love the way you used the rice paper and added the stenciling 😀. Wishing you a happy weekend! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for joining our birthday celebrations at A Vintage Journey this month with this stunning page! Hugs, Jo x

      Delete
  7. Wonderful page, Christine!!! The papers are really beautiful and your lady has impressive eyes!!! Have a great weekend!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous page. I love how you have stretched an A4 page to 12x12. A casual look at the photo and you would assume it was bought like that. I too have some Martha Stewart punches taking up expensive crafting 'real estate'. That made me laugh xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clever way to use it all! So often we hord stuff when we could think outside the box. I love the touch of gold through that great stencil. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Stamperia and have this rice paper too x I adore the clever way in which you have used it. Thank you so much for joining in with us at A Vintage Journey’s Celebration Challenge x
    Best wishes
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This page is simply amazing Christine! I love everything about it.
    Have a good time and take care!
    Evelyn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tu me donnes envie d'en faire des pages AJ comme celle ci. J'adore le collage mais jamais le temps de faire quoique ce soit. Très beau travail. bises

    ReplyDelete