' ' ' 'Crafty Endeavours: Maelstrom

Friday 24 April 2020

Maelstrom


Rainbows are very popular in the UK at the moment, as a symbol of hope for a better time and just to cheer people up with bright colours.

I took up the challenge(s) and this image evolved as the combination of the sense of being blown uncontrollably by a whirlwind and the hope that there are better days "At end of the rainbow".

I thought the Visible Image stamp set Ahead of our Time had everything to represent my idea!

I created my rainbow colours background with Gelatos on a piece of card prepared with Gesso.
Then I used the Visible Image Stencil Strobes to remove colour.
I added the "clock" stamp with Versafine and embossed it with clear EP.


I stamped the falling people with Brilliance Graphite Black as I wanted the image to stay matt but wasn't sure Versafine would dry on the Gesso'ed and Gelato'ed surface.
And although I had aimed for solid black silhouettes, the Gelatos had an odd effect on the ink, which I decided was a good thing!

Finally, also a mishap I accepted to live with, I stamped and embossed the "Future" with Wow Yellow EP only to realise that the colour wasn't opaque as I'd thought.... I overstamped with Versamark and applied Vanilla on top, which allowed the image to show but does give a grainy look...

Let's hope for better days...
Thanks for coming by,
I am entering the SSS MondayAddicted to stampsStamping Sensations challenges.

9 comments:

  1. You have created a beautiful Rainbow card Christine, I never for a moment thought when I added this theme to our schedule months ago that it would be so symbolic when the challenge came round. Thanks so much for joining us at Stamping Sensations this month.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you created your background, great card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Un très beau tableau coloré et tu me fais penser qu'il y a très longtemps que je n'ai utilisé les gelatos. et ce tampon faudrait aussi que je pense à m'en servir. Cet arc en ciel est réussi. bon dimanche!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful card! The rainbow colours look amazing as if they are bursting out of the background - so pretty 😁. Happy weekend! Stay safe and keep well! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely and cheery. I'm back in love with gelatos too. They are so good for this technique xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow - I love your 360 degree rainbow - and it's so clever how you removed colour with the stencil to create your vortex. The sense of spinning out of control certainly reflects the chaos of the current maelstrom - but I hope there is a lovely rainbow awaiting somewhere on the other side. Great card.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great Christine, so meaningful. I love how you've made the rainbow and the images are a perfect symbol of what we're going through at the moment. Take care and have a happy creative week, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW ! Beautiful and so creative ! Love your gelatos rainbow background, so perfect for your silhouette stamp. Thanks so much for sharing and for playing along at ATSM.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant background for that striking image, Christine! A very thoughtful design. Thank you for sharing it with us at Stamping Sensations for our April challenge.

    Lynne

    ReplyDelete