' ' ' 'Crafty Endeavours: Trying out techniques

Thursday 19 February 2015

Trying out techniques

Yep, I am a technique junkie, I have to try everything.... I decided to have another go at the brayer technique that I have seen Leandra from Paper Artsy use to great effect. My first attempt was so disappointing that I switched to a credit card mid-way through my painting!

I think it had something to do with my brayer being sticky for some reason. I put some talcum powder on it the last time I cleaned it and it seemed to have done the trick.


For the background I used Fresco paints in Vanilla, Tango, Limelight, Sherbet and Lavender and stamped motifs from the EEV06 and ESN10. As a feature stamp I used a sentiment from Hot Pick 1206.

Then I tried out another technique taking inspiration from Nataliya, DT on the Wow embossing powder blog, applying embossing powder on top of texture paste. I used both Wow Grapevine and Cosmic shimmer Aurora because I couldn't remember if the Aurora was translucent or not. Still can't tell from this experiment but having both colours adds variety so it's all good!

I suppose I should tell you what IT IS.... Well this is the cover for the calendar I am making, one page per month,  which is why I added a die-cut piece of clear packaging stamped with... OMG just realised... the wrong year! But PHEW... I stuck it with tissue tape so it could be changed the following year. I guess I will have to change it sooner than that!

Thanks for coming by,

9 comments:

  1. Fab combination of colours, and I had to laugh about the error with the year - that is something I would do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this turned out so beautifully in the end! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the effects you have created - I love messy play too!! Have a lovely weekend :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this - it's great how the brayer or credit card technique creates such unique backgrounds X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic page, fab colour combination and if you enlage the image you can see the beautiful textures and shine from the embossing powder over texture paste. I REALLY LOVE your calendar cover:-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow wow wow totally gorgeous, I love brayering but wish I could do the credit card technique, I can never quite get it right where as yours is amazing. Happy Art :-) Kezzy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this blending of colours - must say I have struggled with a brayer - must practice more!! This is going to be a calendar page you will wish was going to be around for longer than a month! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ben c'est super joli, bravo pour utiliser toutes ces techniques encore une fois à ton avantage.. Je rêve de trouver le temps de regarder les vidéos de Leandra sur les masterboards faits au brayer, je n'arrive pas à trouver le temps!! Mais pourquoi tu dis que l'année n'est pas la bonne?.. On est bien en 2015!!?? :) Bisous

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks fab! When my brayers stick, it is usually as the core has slipped, you can push it back in easily with your nails no problem. The other thing I do is spray where the metal bits come into contact with each other with silicone spray. Not only does it stop the squeaky mouse noise, but also helps it roll more smoothly.

    ReplyDelete