' ' ' 'Crafty Endeavours: Inspired by Tim Holtz 1

Wednesday 1 March 2017

Inspired by Tim Holtz 1

Welcome to March and this, my first post for the latest Countryview challenge. This month I chose the theme, "Inspired by Tim Holtz". I trust most of you will find it easy... who hasn't got any products designed by him, from Sizzix, Ranger, Stampers Anonymous and lots more or hasn't tried one of his techniques?!

Should you need inspiration from the master himself, I will point you in the direction of his blog where Tim has lots of steps by steps, mainly through his 12 tags monthly posts from 2012 through to 2016, a whooping 60 and that's even before we look into his Christmas tags...

Without further ado here's mine:



First I created my base, the equivalent of a No8 Manilla tag, after realising that this is the size TH actually uses and not 10 as I thought! I cut a tag then gessoed it, painted in Fresco Vanilla and even created a faux hole protector.

Then I applied some tissue tape. I tore 1 strip in half to give uneven edges, which you'll see if you look close up. You'll notice I have the dispenser too and it may be an extravagance but it is nice to have this tool as it makes it super quick to get a piece of tape.


For my focal image, I stamped the Bowler hat man from the True Gentleman set from Flonzcraft with Archival.
It's one of my favourite stamp set and I couldn't possibly narrow it down to just one!

I applied some Grunge Paste (Paper Artsy) through the Retro Circles(Stamplorations) and Reverse Chicken wire (TCW) stencils.



Next, I spritzed my tag and applied Distress inks re-inkers. Usually TH would use Distress Stains for practical reasons but, as my experiment reveals, it's perfectly OK to use re-inkers although messy (beware stained fingers)...

I used a chicken wire stencil to add more stencilling with black ink and tried to lighten my man's face and clothes.

For finishing touches I added some wooden gears (Calico Crafts) and an arrow (Tando) after giving them a metallic look with DecoArt Metallic Lustre in Silver Spark.
TH would at this stage include some sort or words be it Chit-chats or a metal plaque, but I couldn't find the right space for it and I'm a woman of a few words so I settled for the single "authentic" from the Thinlits set Adventure Words die-cut from black card.

I am looking forward to see all your Tim Holtz inspired creations on the Countryview Challenge blog! You could win a £20 voucher for your entry...

Thanks for coming by,
Also entering the Penny Black and more, SSS Wednesday and Vintage Journey challenges.

22 comments:

  1. Great tag, Christine and great challenge theme as well!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Très beau tag masculin Christine, ce challenge est bien tentant, mais actuellement j'ai très peu de moments à consacrer à ma passion. Patience....
    Bisous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 1st of March! Wonderful tag. Lovely post. Really enjoyed reading how you made this.
    Flo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. A terrific tag with a wonderful background

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great theme and tag Christine. Gorgeous colours x

    ReplyDelete
  6. A super fusion of inks colours and stamping Christine making for one stunning tag, thanks so much for sharing with us at Penny Black and More challenge.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great start to the challenge Christine. Unusually, ours are different this time, but similar colours! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your tag is fabulous... and such a great topic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the tag! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so very lovely! I adore what you have done and this really is the best theme - thankyou!!! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great colours on your fabulous tag, and what a great theme... you hooked me!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooo super and so much detail too and thanks for joining us at Penny Black & More this month, luv Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is gorgeous ! Love it !
    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous tag, love the wonderful layers and I can certainly see the inspiration from Tim's amazing designs and products! Thanks so much for joining us at A Vintage Journey, Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this Christine, especially the retro circles stencil, that really is Timmy style xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this stamp set and I really like what you've done with it. Your tag is fabulous and I love the colours that you've used. A perfect blend of stamps and stencils. Happy crafting, Sandra x

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an awesome tag! I love this! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is SO cool, and super creative. Great job with these amazing techniques, and thanks for sharing your process. I'd like to invite you to visit Word Art Wednesday. We're a fun, Anything Goes/Family Friendly challenge blog with lots of awesome prizes. I hope you'll come by to play along with us.
    Karen L
    Word Art Wednesday
    www.wordartwednesday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. hello! this is an adorable tag...fun background! I am so glad you played along with us at simon says stamp wednesday challenge!

    blog-paperie blooms
    ig-2klines

    sparkle & shine, kindness *~*

    ReplyDelete
  20. J'aime le placement de ton personnage sur ce morceau de washi tape, il ressort superbement! Très beau ton tag Christine.
    Bisous

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great tag, Christine! Love your background and the stamp.
    xx Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  22. How did I miss this one Christine, it must be my favourite tag this year, love it to bits. The step by step is great to see.

    Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
    ShirlsCards.

    ReplyDelete