' ' ' 'Crafty Endeavours: Inspired by Tim Holtz CAS Card

Friday 3 March 2017

Inspired by Tim Holtz CAS Card

Welcome to my second inspiration post for the Country View Challenge, where our theme is "Inspired by Tim Holtz. My first Tim Holtz inspired make was very much in his style but today's is definitely cleaner, more my style!

The inspiration is product led on this make and I was testing out the Substrate Sheets for which very little information is available. Also being tested is the new Oxide Distress inks.



The Substrate comes in a pack with white, brown and Kraft colour which is what I used here. It is described as thicker than Grungepaper but thinner than Grungeboard, very resilient (does not tear) and can be die-cut even with the thin dies.

I cut the sheet in half and then die-cut it with a wavy die (Papertrey Ink).

Next, I used an embossing folder with Flourishes (Crafters Companion I believe) since this is one of the classic motifs that Tim Holtz likes.
I put the folder through once to make sure the paper would not move as I wanted the embossing to continue on the 2 pieces as if they had been embossed first.
I applied Distress Oxide ink before running the sandwich through again ( I took the tape off this time!)

To test the ink I had to spray water on it, since I'm told this is when the magic happens! Verdict: yes, once wet, the ink takes on a lighter shade, which against a coloured background makes it pop:

I didn't want to hide my background so, unusually for me (and for Tim), I didn't add any stamping.

Instead I created a flower embellishment with Tim's Tattered Florals (anybody remember the rush to get that particular die?), a brad and some Treasure gold in Amethyst and Gold.

Then I set out to test the Substrate by die-cutting one of the very detailed word from the Sizzix TH Thinlits 660215 (Sentiments words) and embossing it multiple times with copper, Aged Aqua, Black and gold embossing. The Substrate did indeed hold up to that treatment but alas wasn't showing up much against my background... (looked amazingly gorgeous though).  The die-cut I actually used is in fact plain card embossed with clear powder and has gone translucent after triple embossing.

A charm threaded on twine finishes the card.

I hope I have inspired you to have a go at our Country View Challenge, in Tim Holtz's style or your own, just as long as we can see how Tim inspired you. You could win a £20 voucher to spend at Country View Craft shop...

Thanks for coming by,
I am entering the Allsorts and WOW Embossing powders challenges.

12 comments:

  1. Love how you've designed this and made use of several of Tim's products xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very elegant creation using the new goodies Christine, many thanks for joining us at Allsorts challenge this week.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful card with great use of the products

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely card Christine and the DO looks like fun xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful creation and great colour combo. Thanks for sharing at Allsorts 'METAL/CHARMS' challenge, good luck in the draw. ♥
    [aNNie DT for Allsorts Challenges]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really lovely creation! Thank you for entering our challenge at Allsorts this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful creation with some tempting products Christine. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that flourish background and the flower is lovely with that sun-bleached look. (For cheap job lots of gears try trawling Ebay. I usually just search on metal cogs or embellishments or bronze gears etc and stuff generally bobs up.)
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant card Christine, I'm looking forward to trying these new inks myself after my holidays xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merci pour cette belle carte très originale, ton fond est très beau en effet (veinarde pour les distress oxide...:D) et ta fleur est magnifique !!! Tu as de la chance d'avoir pu tester ce nouveau support (substrate), entre le grungeboard et le grungepaper alors dis-tu ?.. Merci pour ce partage encore une fois du résultat de tes expérimentations. Bises

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous background for your second card! I love, how it is splitted in the middle.
    xx Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! Fabulously Tim inspired but in your own style, love your card x

    ReplyDelete