' ' ' 'Crafty Endeavours: Glossy paper, alcohol markers and gum arabic

Thursday 15 August 2013

Glossy paper, alcohol markers and gum arabic

Yep, I used all those in today's card and it wasn't even planned!


I have printed the image with my inkjet and embossed it with clear powder. Since I wasn't sure how well this would work, I maximised my chances by using glossy paper and increasing the ink volume setting on the printer. This did work very well... But now how to colour ? Glossy paper and watercolours are not the best bedfellows and I can't imagine pencils would work either... I had seen people using alcohol markers on glossy so I tried that with success.

On top of this first layer, I painted Mica powders (Imagination Crafts) in a related colour to give a shimmer to the piece. Depending on how the light is catching the image, you see it/you don't see it.
This is where the Gum arabic comes in... I tried painting the powder directly with a wet brush but the "paint" just pooled. I realised I needed some Magi Blend (Imagination Crafts) or some sort of acrylic medium, but having neither, I tried mixing with gum arabic (used in watercolour) instead.

I have no idea of the long term outcome of gum arabic on glossy though...


Having spent a fair amount of time just colouring the image, I kept the card simple and just mounted it on a standard cardbase.

I am entering this card in the following challenges:

Ladybug Crafts Something Floral
Imagination Crafts Flower Power
WOW!Embossing Powder Art Deco

Hope you'll like this,

8 comments:

  1. Wow! This is absolutely gorgeous!! Love the colors and the close up really shows the shimmer! love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous image and beautifully coloured, love the shimmer.

    Sylv xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It works brilliantly. Fabulous effect and the photo is great! Julie Ann xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous. Beautifully coloured and love the shimmer. Thanks for sharing with us at Imagination Crafts and good luck.
    Mags
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the card :) I've used the printer for embossing text on pearlescent card ;)
    Von ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful idea and the mica powders look great - thanks for joining in with us at Imagination Crafts this month and good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning I love it, you certainly cracked the art Deco thanks for joining us at imagination crafts, good to see you again

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is stunning!!!!! WOW factor for sure. I love everything about it and how you experimented. Do you have any Ranger distress ink pads, reinkers or pens, they take to glossy paper really well to. something else to try out one day. Thank you so much for playing along with WOW Embossing powder xox Donna

    ReplyDelete