' ' ' 'Crafty Endeavours: Stamping and embossing on metal

Friday 15 September 2017

Stamping and embossing on metal


Today is my second post for the Country View Challenge inspiration  piece on the theme of Metal, chosen by the lovely Miriam.

This time I went for a more delicate technique of embossed metal, with a stylus!


First I die-cut a square of aluminium (another re-cycled container for a ready meal) and embossed a border with a Cuttlebug folder on all 4 sides. In addition, I embossed a paperclip in one corner.

Working from the reverse, I stamped my image, a freebie from Craft Stamper, with Archival ink.

I prefer to use the reverse in case I scratch the metal with my stylus as I should be using nylon but use metal depending on the size of the embossing ball I need.

Of course it does mean the image is reversed!

Next, using the stamped image as a guide, I use the stylus to create the first embossed lines on the reverse. This will show the outline of the design on the front.

Now I work  alternatively from the front and the reverse, progressively deepening the embossing. I use a mouse mat for embossing and a stamp block for refining.

Finally I apply black paint, let it dry a bit and softly buff the raised areas for contrast.

Make enough squares and you could get this... as I did some years ago (check out the post here).

Finally I added a piece of vanilla coloured metal that I embossed with a Ten Second Studio Kabuka mold (no8) and a piece of black metal die-cut with a Mixed Media Thinlit (Sizzix) before mounting the lot on Kraft card.



I hope I have inspired you to have a go at this technique or at least to use something metallic for your entry in the Country View Challenge. A £20 voucher is up for grab for one lucky crafter...

Thanks for coming by,

6 comments:

  1. Something very different Christine and it looks so tactile, one of those you want to reach out and touch.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a gorgeous card, Christine, and thanks for showing th eprocess. I have that nice stamp, such a great use of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great technique and adding the paint and taking it back really adds dimension. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great card Christine!!! The aluminium piece in the middle looks fabulous!!! And your collection of metal squares is amazing too!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful Christine, I love how you've embossed the metal. Have a fun week, Sue xx

    ReplyDelete