' ' ' 'Crafty Endeavours: Embossed metal frame

Friday 1 September 2017

Embossed metal frame

Time does fly... holidays over, back to school is upon us and of course a new challenge at Country View! This month Miriam has chosen Metal as the theme, the perfect opportunity to use some of my favourite techniques with the shiny stuff!

But first, if you haven't been checking out the new stash at Country View Crafts, let me share my excitement upon the introduction of the Rubber Dance stamps... I'm especially thankful for Susan stocking them as, with the sterling falling, it's a lot easier buying from UK stockists!

My favourite images are Vintage, photo realistic, nature inspired and, as luck would have it, those are the ones first available at Country View Crafts here. (I'm hoping for more in the future...)

This is what I made:



At this stage I don't know if I am going to keep it as is and display as a photo frame or if I'll stick it on a card blank.

To make my frame I used a piece of aluminium saved from a ready meal (some survive the cooking unscathed and can be cleaned up well).

I die cut a rectangle from the middle, handy as I had the "Alu" brand embossed right in the middle... But I may still use the piece if I can hide it!

I then embossed the frame with a Cuttlebug folder which name I sadly didn't write down and has been lost to the mists of time...

If you recognise it, please let me know!

Next the fun bit... wet embossing and playing with powders.

I used Versamark all over the metal and started by sprinkling some of my mysterious mixes of EP.

I say mysterious because I made them a long time ago and can't really tell what exact colours are in them.


Before melting I covered the whole frame with a tarnished gold EP. The overall look is of distressed and aged bronze, but, in the next step I will bring back some gold.

I used Versamark again on the frame, but this time I try and ink just the raised parts and then apply mica powders in copper and gold to highlight the embossing further.

The focal image, Dancing woman from Rubber Dance has been stamped with Versafine black.
I added D. Oxides in Antique Linen and Walnut stain and spritzed a bit of water to age the piece. I created a brown frame to mat the image (just like a painting).

To finish I embossed another piece of recycled metal, ivory coloured, with the word "Authentic", and decided to add the die-cut word on top, coloured in black with an alcohol marker. Beware the paint has a tendency to rub off, so if you find black metal use that instead! A bit of copper wire threaded through holes and voila!

Here's the shine shot:

I hope I have inspired you to work with metal and that you'll enter our Country View challenge, nothing to lose and a £ 20 voucher to spend on some lovely supplies if you do...

For more inspiration check out what my teamies made here and come back on the 15th, when I'll post my second metallic project,

Thanks for coming by,

Also entering the Rubber Dance Forever, Craft Stamper TIMI and SSS Wednesday challenges.

21 comments:

  1. Your frame is beautiful Christine...and a great piece of recycling. What a gorgeous picture you made xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great frame Christine. I love recycling metal!! Fabulous project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much texture to that super frame Christine and what a wonderfully wistful image. Have a good weekend.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, wonderful use of the embossed metal to create your textured frame, and I love the gentle joy of the vintage image. Isadora Duncan - ish?
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful frame and a lovely image.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is wonderful - I love the frame and the stamped image is fabulous too! Hugs rachel xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your embossed frame is beautiful, the RD image is very romantic with a vintage touch! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is brilliant Christine, lovely background, and it goes so well with the Rubber Dance image. Thanks so much for entering her into our 'forever' challenge, and have a very happy weekend. Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful project Christine. What a great idea to recycle the ready meal container! Brilliant! Such a beautiful image. Really enjoyed reading how you created this. TFS
    Flo x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so love this Christine the frame looks amazing and I love your feature. Stunning! hugs Debsxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful and serene, love the gold and the image is perfect on this project !
    Corrie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. J'aime les feuilles métal ou alu embossées. il y a longtemps que je n'en ai pas utilisées. tu me donnes des envies. lol. très beau cadre!
    bises

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning frame for such a beautiful Stamp xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a pretty frame you created and it's amazing to think that it's upcycled aluminium - fantastic! It looks like you had fun trying out all those techniques too, the finish is beautiful 😁. Wishing you a Happy September! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a beautiful card. Love it. Thank you so much for playing along Simon Says Stamp Anything Goes Challenge. Gayatri xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the whole effect Christine and the embossed metal looks amazing. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I´m back from vacation and try to catch up here ;-)
    Beautiful metal frame! I love the embossing and the following treatment. The stamp is beautiful too!
    Have a nice sunday!
    Hugs Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous frame .... the embossing looks amazing. Love the stamped image too. Thank you for playing along with the Craft Stamper Challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stunning work!!! Love the frame in combination with the stamp! Thank you for joinig our Forever Challenge over at Rubber Dance. xx Susanne.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Excellent work! So beautiful with the stamped image inside your wonderful frame! Thank you so much for joining the Rubber Dance Forever Stampig Challenge.
    I wish you a loveley and creative weekend.
    Hugs, Anita xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Better late than never: Thank you so much for making this lovely card with our stamps and entering it to our Forever Challenge at Rubber Dance! ♥ Bibi

    ReplyDelete