' ' ' 'Crafty Endeavours: Travel...

Wednesday 31 July 2013

Travel...

As a departure from my usual projects, I am taking the plunge and trying my hand at Art Journaling. Note that I am not committing to anything... and I have used a free standing piece of paper rather than a Journal per se! The Craft Barn challenge letter T made me think of "Travel", which immediately appealed as a theme, and I wanted to play with paints just for myself, with no pressure.


There wasn't a conscious decision as to the hues chosen for my background, although I did choose bright and staining colours so that if they mixed too much the result wouldn't be muddy. I have used watercolours here as I have a lot (in all forms) rather than Dylusions or other dye inks, and used a brush to load the paint from the sides and spraying with a water bottle to distribute the paint around, tilting the paper to control the direction of the flow. After each colour I allowed the paper to dry completely.
It turned out darker than anticipated but I wasn't too fussed and proceeded to stamp my many travel related images (Paper Artsy, Crafty Individuals, Katzelfkraft and Papermania). This is where the choice of a watercolour paper (and what is more a rough texture) was working against me. Still we all like a distress effect...

Finally I added a strip of DIY washi tape and the dictionary definition (and no I couldn't bring myself to destroy a book), which I printed on specialty paper and aged it with Tattered Rose distress ink.

I have scored the sheet in half so, if I fancy making more I will look into making a "Journal" with the individual pages.

I enjoyed the journey... hope you will enjoy the project too!

12 comments:

  1. These colours work really well and travel is such a good word choice. I think you should definitely have give journalling a go! Julie Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely page and just recently I had my very old passport out and it looked very similar to your page (minus the bright colours) so I guess your watercolour paper gave it a more authentic look than you might have realised. Job well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I'm not in Facebook (gasp... I know!)I am hoping you will get my comment on your page this way... It's Triffic! The page is fun and the drawing awsome.

      Delete
  3. I like this a lot, as Carol saysd it has a real passport flavour and would definitely grace any journal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the colours and the wonderful travel stamps, a fabulous page.

    Sylv xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pages are great. The colours are really vibrant. I think you and Art Journaling could become best friends. MMx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic journal page! Love the vibrant colors and images! So creative and fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oui, c'est très réussi !!! Tu peux continuer à te laisser aller librement dans ce sens et dans ce genre... Belle page en tout cas pour un début bravo ! Bises

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! this is such a lovely page, and I love the idea of working on good paper, with the thought of making a journal out of the different pages! love what the word travel inspired you, those colors are fabulous, stamps are gorgeous and make such a lovely composition. Very creative. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That washi tape was the perfect finishing touch! Love the page and thanks for commenting on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello There, I love your page! The colours and stamping are beautiful :D x

    ReplyDelete