' ' ' 'Crafty Endeavours: Diamond wedding anniverasry

Friday 11 September 2015

Diamond wedding anniverasry

Being the resident crafter in the household, choosing theme, colours and designs for cards is usually left to me.
Not wanting to be late with a 60th Anniversary card for my OH's parents, I created this one without asking for his input. How wrong was I?.... He managed to find fault in every aspect....



First, the shape, because even if it said Diamond anniversary, it didn't stand up very well, second the creases (the heavy weight cardstock cracked abominously when I scored and folded it) and finally he objected to have to write the message on the back. I'd easily concede he was right about the first 2 but I am not aware of any etiquette about the message having to be "inside".
Am I missing something? Please let me know in your comments!

The stamps used are from Flonzcraft and perfect for a couple who got married in the Fifties. The Diamond shape and the gold/silver threads were inspired by this card. But instead of using designer paper I created my metallic threads with foils and spray glue, incredibly easy! I used spare bits of paper to mask around the diamond shape and also a Spellbinders label shape where my sentiment was to go before spraying the glue.

I now need another idea for a 60th anniversary card...


************************************************

Now for an update....
Following your comments on this card, and after laughing at your suggestion to give my OH free run of my craft room for a spot of card making! - as if I want him to know how much stuff I REALLY have....)-

this is what I did :




I cut and scored a new piece of card as before except that I added enough width to "create" a 3rd panel. When opened the panel will reveal the handwritten message (as per OH request). I cut out the back panel (the one with the foil) from the old card and stuck it to the new one so I didn't feel like I had completely wasted my time...
On the plus side the added weight on the back helps the card stands better.



The extra panel offers more crafting surface which I immediately put to use with a "60" as per Chrissie's suggestion, a sentiment and a rick rack shaped stripe of glitter (diamond-ish colour). The "60" shows even when the card is closed whilst the sentiment is hidden by the diamond shape.

And the OH's verdict I hear you ask? Yes he did like it, at least he thought it was "all right" which passes as high praise!


I am entering the WOW Embossing powders and Bunny Zoe's Crafts challenges.

10 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment on my blog :). Fabulous anniversary card, so elegant and classy! Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could always let him loose in the craft room and see if he could do better Christine!!!

    Anyways I love it right down to the shape of the card which is very clever.

    Not sure about the peg though maybe that's what he's objecting to, only kidding. lol

    Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
    ShirlsCards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I love it!! I think the diamond panel is a great idea and the stamp is a very fitting one style wise. Stick to your guns... or else hand OH the keys to your stash... oh no, maybe not!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what do men know Christine, it looks perfect to me and how original going with the diamond shape.

    I show most of my makes to hubby, especially those for TV and it goes three way, "that looks OK" (very nice), "not bad" (acceptable) and "yes" (don't like that one at all) and that latter is standard for my inky makes, so as I said what do they know.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Before I read your post I thought that it was a wonderful idea to have the diamond shape on the front of a diamond wedding card. I love it and if your hubby really wants it to say the years then joust add 60 to one of the points on the diamond., You could buy some numbers or use a stencil to add them yourself or better still get him to draw 60 in his own hand writing.

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such pretty embossing and what a lovely fold
    Your creations are gorgeous .So glad I found you while blog hopping
    Would love to have you drop in for a visit
    Cheers
    Dr Sonia
    Cards Crafts Kids Projects

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Christine, I love this card, it's a great design and the images are perfect. Love the metallic look inside.
    Avril x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Des craquelures aux plis tu dis?.. Ben moi je ne vois pas les défauts, seulement une très belle cate d'anniversaire parfaite pour ce bel évènement! Elle a du faire super plaisir à te beaux-parents (si j'ai bien compris), c'est une superbe idée, les tampons sont beaux aussi, parfaits comme tu dis pour un couple des années 50... Félicitations à eux mais aussi à toi!!! Bises

    ReplyDelete
  9. i think its a stunning card,that fold is fab and I love the effect you've create on the inside too
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well take no notice. It's a great card, personal and stylish x

    ReplyDelete