' ' ' 'Crafty Endeavours: Beach Layout

Friday 10 June 2016

Beach Layout

I was the lucky winner of the March Vintage Journey challenge and I was invited to Guest Design.
The theme for this month's challenge, hosted by Astrid, is Embossing Pastes/Textures, a must have for Mixed Media work, and this is what I am showing today.

Hoping for warmer weather, I selected bright colours and let go the Vintage tones entirely, taking inspiration from beach colours for a holiday scrapbook page. The photo I have included is not actually the photo but a place holder I had great fun to design.


For the background I used sprays and Grunge paste with several stencils on my watercolour paper base.
As a feature I created a sandy beach on my "photo" and also in the top left corner with heavy gel medium, a touch of yellow acrylic paint and sand of course!

To make my fake photo I stamped the lady in Versafine on glossy paper (from the Take the plunge set by Rubber Dance) and coloured with Distress inks.

Finally I used some paste as a 3D glue to give my shells a more realistic shape.
To make them I first stamped them (all shells, starfish and seahorse are from the Rubber Dance Retro Beach set ), then fussy cut. I applied a bit of colour with Distress inks and shaped then with a ball tool, giving them a curve. The gel medium helps in supporting the curve as well as keeping the shells stuck!
I added a few sea creatures confetti (painted with gesso to dampen the garish colours), muslin, and micro beads.
Under this angle the sun catches the mica for maximum shine!


You can visit A Vintage Journey for more pictures.
Also entering the Our Creative Corner, Love to Create and That's Crafty challenges

7 comments:

  1. Very summery and happy project. Love the texture you have created.

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A gorgeus page! I love the texture and the embellishments. Hope the weather will get warmer up there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A magical summer beach creation, Christine. Thank you again for being a brilliant guest designer with us this month.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is DELIGHTFUL Christine. WONDERFUL colors and a big WOW on the YUMMY textures. Love the way you created the picture too - that stamp was perfect. Your creation really brightened my day!! Thanks bunches for joining our 'A Beautiful Mess' challenge at OUR CREATIVE CORNER! j.

    ReplyDelete
  5. C'est super beau, j'avais pas vu que tu avais gagné ce challenge !!!!!
    Bravo Christine, je vais aller te féliciter sur le blog aussi, et en profiter pour admirer toutes les photos...
    En tout cas cette création très originale et estivale a vraiment quelque chose qui retient le regard... Je la trouve très classe et super élégante ! Bises

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your 'photo'and the spotlight effect you have achieved with your colours. Gorgeous. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fab background - love the shinmmer and shine! Thank you for using several of my stamps on your gorgeous scrapbook page! Very cool "fake photo"! ♥

    ReplyDelete