' ' ' 'Crafty Endeavours: Crackled wood panel

Friday 17 June 2016

Crackled wood panel

Time for my second Crackle inspiration piece for the Country View Challenges blog. Last time I eased you in with a quick and foolproof method (see here), this time I am taking the more traditional approach with a 3 steps crackle.


First a coat of acrylic paint in the colour you want your crackles to be (in my case black), second the crackle medium (today I have used Imagination Crafts) and third your desired top coat colour of acrylic paint (a mix of several Fresco paints by Paper Artsy).

To add a bit more of a distressed look I also added some light grey paint patches and Vaseline in a few places (sparingly). When dry I then removed the paint that didn't stick to the Vaseline with a soft cloth.

Notes: 1) With this medium, the direction of the brush when applying the top coat, decides of the direction the crackles will take. You can see on the photo that used both vertical and horizontal brushstrokes.
2) The crackling happens as soon as the top coat touches the Crackle Medium layer, and there can't be any hesitation, only put the brush down once on any particular area! If mixing colours make sure you have enough before you start (ask me how I know...).


For my focal image I unearthed a very old stamp by Joanna Sheen and as I wanted a Vintage feel I started with Versafine Sepia. But the image lacked strength so I inked first with Versafine then added black on one side then softened by tapping the Sepia inkpad until I had a smooth colour transition.

You can see that doing this DOES contaminate my inkpad but it's actually a bonus for me as I'm just as likely to need a darker brown next time and it's already there waiting for me. It does eventually disappear if you keep inking from that side.

For embellishments and mats I searched through my scraps and picked remnants of masterboard, patterned paper and die-cut metal. I added a piece of cream muslin and a length of natural twine.

Finally to frame my image,  I painted a Tando chipboard piece in red and applied tinted Grunge paste through a Prima Doily Stencil. When dry I rubbed Treasure Gold in Onyxite and White fire.



There you have it... I do hope I have inspired you to join us for our Crackle challenge and would love to know what you think of my board.
Have a great weekend,
I am entering the We Love To Create, Sandy & Amelie Steampunk, The Artistic Stamper and the Stamplorations Mixed Media challenges

11 comments:

  1. A fabulous crackled background Christine and a great explanation of how the medium works and I guess you found out the hard way about mixing enough with colour, one of my sayings when I was in the classroom was that we learn from our mistakes as well as our successes, which is so true xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely crackles Christine, haven't tried the Imagination one but they do vary no end, I'm no Paper Artsy at present and pretty happy with that compared with some.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific background with wonderful crackle. The project is wonderful

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous! The crackle is fabulous, love this.xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the crackle - thanks for sharing your fabulous project at the STAMPlorations Mixed Media Challenge - we hope to see you again soon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous piece, Christine! I like the crackles (and your explanations) and the use of vaseline on the background!
    xxx Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful crackle Christine and lovely project. I love how you incorporated bits and pieces from your leftovers box. I have to admit that even though I've tried it a few times I've never managed success with Vaseline for some reason.

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. C'est super beau!!!!
    Merci pour ce joli post, je te lis toujours avec plaisir en anglais aussi, tu y mets toujours une pointe d'humour qui me fait sourire...
    Et au fait, tu seras contente de savoir que j'ai passé ma première commande chez Rubber Dance!! :D Bises et bonne semaine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great crackle, Christine! And a lovely assemblage piece. Thank you for playing along with us at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges!

    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great use of the colours, lovely card, thank you for joining in the fun at the Artistic Stamper - Debs DT

    ReplyDelete
  11. INCREDIBLE! I love everything about this project most especially the wonderful tutorial you shared. I have several bottles of crackle medium that have been gathering dust on my shelf, but not anymore! (GRIN) THANK YOU for joining us over at STAMPlorations for the June Mixed Media Challenge and I hope to see more of your lovely work in the months to come!

    ReplyDelete