' ' ' 'Crafty Endeavours: Second post today... All about the dies

Tuesday 10 September 2013

Second post today... All about the dies

I have made all the cards I need for specific people this year so any card I make now is for the emergency stash. For those, I try to limit the bulk/weight because I don't know if it will be mailed and I don't include a sentiment so the card can be used for multiple occasions.
But I wanted to participate in the Impression Obsession latest challenge which is all about the dies...

Although I could have used a few die-cuts without compromising the bulk constraint, I set about finding ways of using dies without creating extra layers and you will not actually find a die-cut on this card!



I created stencils with the Butterflies Die (DIE008-I). I used the large butterfly stencil with distress inks and stamps (Cover-a-Card Canvas - CC073, Cover-a-Card Newsprint - CC068  and Cover-a-Card Branches - CC031) over a designer paper.

With the small butterfly stencil I used Sparkle Gel Medium (Imagination Crafts) in Jade to create an embellishment that is still part of the layer whilst providing a bit of texture. Love using the medium instead of loose glitter because there is no shedding for the recipient and I don't have to deal with glitter for days on end afterwards!

The central butterfly has been partially die-cut with the Butterfly die so that the wings can be lifted. I added 2 gems to hide the holes cut by the die (I have the older style die that comes with placing holes).

I color matched a piece of white ribbon and left a space on the lower left for a sentiment.

I am also entering this card in the Imagination Crafts challenge, which is all about butterflies.

Thanks for coming by,

10 comments:

  1. How really fun and so pretty and creative too! I love your substitute for glitter and "glue" too. That textures you gave the butterflies is so interesting and attractive the way you used them. A really beautiful card, Crafty!! Thanks for playing and good luck in the drawing too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cool card! Love how you used the butterfly as a template and let the CAC backgrounds show through, the tree branches look really neat! I will have to look up the sparkle gel medium...awesome texture though, looks just like glitter (I don't have any glitter because I don't want it to get everywhere or on me, I do have a couple of bottles of stickles though). Have a great week! Thanks for sharing.

    Katie B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your background and your idea to use the die cuts as stencils is great. Good way to keep the layers down! The butterflies are pretty. Cheers, Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  4. C'est super bien fait, beaucoup de belles et bonnes idées je trouve, et le résultat est très beau !!! Bonne chance pour ce challenge, moi j'aime beaucoup la façon dont tu as détourné l'idée des "die-cuts"... Bises

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card! Love the colors and textures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neat card-I do like the background you put the butterflies on. The ribbon at the bottom adds too.
    PH

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW ! This is so creative and a great reminder of how versatile b'ground stamps are. I totally get the thing about mailing cards, they're something I challenge myself to create as well. This one is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A gorgeous array of butterflies!~So many fabulous techniques in one card! tfs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful card. Gorgeous butterflies showing so many techniques too. Well done. Chris x

    ReplyDelete
  10. marvellous, love all the techniques and overall look, thank you for entering the challenge at Imagination Crafts challenges, good luck, you are eligible to win the top prize for using Imagination crafts products x

    ReplyDelete